Contact an Insurance Specialist

Customer Login

Does US Customs and Border Protection (USCBP) Accept Replacement (Extension) Carnets for Foreign Carnets in the US?

Last updated on May 20th, 2020

When it comes to Extension (or Replacement) Carnets, The US does not accept them for foreign Carnets staying in the country. However, there are a couple of other options available to keep goods in the US beyond the expiration date issued on the original green cover of an ATA Carnet. The two options available are late-exportation and converting the ATA Carnet to a Temporary Importation Bond (TIB). These options are approved by US CBP and make it possible to keep goods in the country past the initial 12-month period.


Option 1 for an alternative to Replacement Carnets: Late Exportation


The United States Customs and Border Protection must stamp an expired foreign ATA Carnet exiting the US. Notations must be made on the voucher and the white importation counterfoil stating that the ATA Carnet has expired beyond the initial 12-month period. An example might look like this: “Carnet has expired, duties are payable.”


Duties on the expired ATA Carnet will be assessed depending on the date of re-export:

  1. Up to 90 days after ATA Carnet expiration will result in 25% of the duty and 10% penalty (minimum $50)
  2. Between 90 and 180 days after ATA Carnet expiration will result in 50% of the duty and 10% penalty (minimum $100)
  3. Goods re-exported 181 days after ATA Carnet expiration will result in 100% of the duty and 10 % penalty

Option 2 for an alternative to Replacement Carnets: Converting the ATA Carnet to a TIB


A foreign ATA Carnet can be converted to a Temporary Import Bond in the US, as long as the goods on the original document qualify for TIB treatment. What this means, is that there are certain requirements that must be successfully met in order to convert the expired foreign ATA Carnet to a TIB with the US CBP.


Below are the requirements to qualify for a TIB:

  1. Must be completed before the expiration date of the original ATA Carnet
  2. It only allows one additional year to remain in the US
  3. ATA Carnet Number must appear on the TIB paperwork
  4. Merchandise description, weight, and value must match the ATA Carnet General List
  5. ATA Carnet’s re-exportation voucher should be presented and validated by US Customs referencing the TIB number and date in box 2 of the re-exportation counterfoil (Action is taken in respect of goods produced but not re-exported).

After, the ATA Carnet is sent back to the office of issue in the foreign country.


When filing for a TIB, it is important to retain photocopies or pictures of the counterfoils with these validations in the event that the CBP files a claim for goods not re-exported.


In general, there are only certain member ATA Carnet countries that accept Replacement Carnets for goods staying within a country past the expiration date. The best course of action is to study and understand the specific regulations of each country that goods will be transported to and from. By staying educated it is possible to avoid penalties and duties that may be assessed by other countries.


Please consult your ATA Carnet Help Desk for further details. Contact us at 1.800.CARNETS (1.800.227.6387) or by email


Related Content You Might Have Interest In

Can an ATA Carnet be Extended?

How Long is an ATA Carnet Valid For?

Is a Power of Attorney Needed to Present an ATA Carnet to Customs?

Who is Authorized to Present the ATA Carnet to Customs for Clearance?